11 Hito Steyerl, Video Artist
(NEW) Has her finger firmly on the pulse of our time with her videos and installations. A powerful woman.
12 Leonardo DiCaprio, Green Global Conscience
(5) Fights for the environment and endangered animal species with his foundation. A hero.
13 Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook Founder
(7) Over the course of the next 10 years he will donate over 3 billion dollars to help facilitate research to find cures for deadly diseases. Over the course of his lifetime, together with his wife Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician, he will donate 99% of his Facebook shares for philanthropic causes. Hats off.
14 Ian Cheng, Video Artist
(27) It’s quite a feat for a cognitive scientist to become one of the most acclaimed new artists. His unique video installations are inspired by his background in science yet take on a fascinatingly imaginative life of their own: a virtual ecosystem.
15 Oprah Winfrey, America’s Conscience
(21) TV host and entrepreneur, donated hundreds of millions of dollars to social causes.
16 Matthieu Ricard, Buddhist Teacher
(11) Matthieu Ricard is a molecular biologist who became a Buddhist monk. He has written numerous books about his path to enlightenment, which have become international bestsellers.
17 Arianna Huffington, Media Entrepreneur
(NEW) Founded the online magazine Huffington Post. Fights stress with Thrive Global.
18 Mathis Wackernagel, Sustainable Advocate
(24) The Swiss-born scientist and president of the Global Footprint Network, based in Oakland, California, is known for creating the ecological footprint concept and heads an international think tank that focuses on developing and promoting metrics for sustainability.
19 Hans Clevers, Molecular Geneticist
(NEW) Creates new organs from stem cells in the laboratory, called organoids. A medical game changer.
20 Hans Ulrich Obrist, Art Curator
(19) The director of the Serpentine Galleries, London, is bringing the wonderfully inspirational world of art closer to millions around the world.
21 Roger Nelson, Global Consciousness Project
(38) The Princeton professor has proven: there is a global consciousness. We are one.
22 Ellen DeGeneres, Entertainer
(12) First US celebrity to out herself as lesbian. Gave hope and inspiration to millions in the LGBT community.
23 Bill Gates, Philanthropist
(36) With an endowment of 44.3 billion dollars, the private Gates Foundation is instrumental in changing the world through its immense contributions to many humanitarian causes and initiatives.
24 Taylor Swift, Charity Queen
(NEW) No star does more for charity than her: she donates millions and visits the ill. A role model.
25 Ervin Laszlo, Club of Budapest Founder
(NEW) This philosopher of science explains our world and consciousness. Genius.
26 Jochen Zeitz, Founder of the B-Team
(42) The former Puma CEO built the Zeitz Museum in Cape Town. Gives Africa new self-confidence.
27 Barack Obama, 44th US President
(2) He appeared as a shining light on the world stage, and with the glare still bright, he left it. Once it became unbelievably true that his successor would be Donald Trump, even his worst critics realized what Barack Obama meant to the world. He was the conscience of America but withdrew almost entirely from the limelight. The world needs his voice.
28 Prinz Harry, England’s Heartthrob
(NEW) Follows his heart wherever it takes him. Will marry a divorced woman. A clear signal of what modern aristocracy looks like.
29 Stella McCartney, Designer
(30) The world-acclaimed designer refuses to employ leather, feathers or furs in her designs yet manages to successfully create animal-friendly luxury fashion. Role model.
30 Arnold Schwarzenegger, Actor and Activist
(NEW) Stands up for the environment and rightly demands: „Make the planet great again!“ Does not shy away from confrontation with #100 on this list. True Hero.
31 Pipilotti Rist, Video Artist
(NEW) The New Museum at the Bowery, NYC, showed her work in a retrospective. Strong woman, exceptional artist.
32 George Clooney, The good guy
(18) Has been actively engaged in aiding refugees in Darfur and South Sudan, helping to save the lives of thousands. He has successfully employed his celebrity status to bring attention to ongoing regional conflicts and the ensuing appalling conditions of the civilian population.
33 Mick Jagger, Rock Icon
(NEW) Proves that 74 is not too old to fill stadiums and to inspire millions. Role model.
34 Warren Buffett, Billionaire
(NEW) Donated 99% of his wealth of 73 billion USD to good causes. One of the greats.
35 Deepak Chopra, Inspirational Leader
(22) The bestselling author, public speaker and alternative medicine advocate brings a new way of thinking and provides a unique insight to life, thereby inspiring millions.
36 Josef Penninger, World-Renowned Geneticist
(NEW) Aims to decode the defect genes for more than 10,000 rare diseases. A pioneer.
37 Roger Federer, Sport Icon
(NEW) The greatest tennis player of our time. Role model and idol for millions.
38 Arundhati Roy, Writer
(NEW) An authority in her role as a critic of globalization and activist for a better world.
39 Eric Kandel, Nobel Prize Laureate
(NEW) The neuroscientist conducts research into the miracle that is our brain. A titan.
40 Meryl Streep, Icon
(59) The three-time Academy Award winner has given women around the world a new sense of awareness and proves that aging has its positive sides as well. A fascinating woman indeed.
41 Bjarke Ingels, Architect
(NEW) Danish shooting star in the architecture scene. Impresses with clear ideas.
42 Emma Stone, Actress
(NEW) Made us believe in a better world in La La Land. We love her.
43/44 Sergey Brin & Larry Page , Google Founders
(33/34) They want to revolutionize the world and improve our lives. That’s their stated goal. Google is researching artificial intelligence, our consciousness and medical fields. If it’s for the betterment of humankind, then we can only say: please continue.
45 Stephan A. Schwartz, Futurist
(NEW) Researcher of the supernatural. The global authority on remote viewing.
46 Donna Haraway, Global Thought Leader
(NEW) Researches feminism at the University of California. Author of bestsellers.
47 David Hockney, Painter
(NEW) Triumphed at the Tate in Great Britain. Deservedly considered one of the most important living artists.
48 Tom Ford, Fashion Designer
(58) A man that has talent in many creative fields. Legendary as a fashion designer, Nocturnal Animals adds to his growing reputation as a director.
49 Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland
(NEW) Scotland’s conscience. Committed to the environmental target of “Zero Emissions.”
50 Morgan Freeman, Actor
(NEW) Explains the world and the mysteries of space to us in a brilliant TV documentary series.